The puck drops for a united Korea ...


After several days soaking up the Olympic environment and sitting in meetings it was now finally time for the first puck to drop and for the hockey tournament to begin.

Increased security
Since the opening ceremony the security around all the venues has been increased and now when we enter the rink we have to scan our bags.  This presents a few challenges to overcome, as the officials are being asked to give up their protein powders and bars when they come through the security screening process.  This is another unique thing about being at an Olympics and something we will have to work to find a solution too.  The teams had all their snacks and drinks shipped into the venue a few weeks back and so the players don’t face the same challenge.  Luckily our Korean hosts are going to help so the officials can have their usual pre and post-game snacks and drinks with them in the arena for the games.  Being at an Olympics is as much about being flexible and adapting as it is about being perfect … I’ve had to learn that over the years and for those that know me they will know that has not been an easy lesson!

The puck drops for a united Korea
The evening game on Saturday was between hosts Korea and Switzerland.  The anticipation for this game has been the talk of the Olympics over the last few weeks.  Everyone wanted to see how the united North and South Korean team would play together.  The game encapsulated the unique ability of sport to play a role in politics.  At this Olympics the women’s ice hockey team have become a symbol for peace and for a unified Korea.  The atmosphere is full of hope for the future.  You can’t turn on the TV or look anywhere without a reference being made to the women’s ice hockey team.  It is a fantastic platform for our sport and for the profile of women’s ice hockey across the world.

North Korean Cheerleaders dancing in unison
With so much hype, I was starting to wonder whether this game would live up to the expectation … I have to say the atmosphere and the feeling in the building was like nothing I have experienced before.  I sat in the stands for the start of this game and was over-come by the emotion in the building.  North Korea sent a squad of around 200 cheerleaders to the game.  They were mesmerising to watch as they chanted, swayed and dance in absolute unison.  They were almost robotic in their movements.  They spread themselves out across the rink and sat in tidy rows blocked together around the building. 


Regardless of the score-line they cheered the Korean team all game long.  They were chanting, and I asked one of the volunteers what they were saying.  She replied to tell me they were saying “We are one!”.  They were swaying from side to side in a perfectly choreographed display of unity and discipline.  She said to me that earlier that night they had been chanting “Unify the motherland!” and “Win, win, our athletes win!”.  I wasn’t able to sit in the stands for the whole game as I needed to go to the supervisors’ office to write up my reports from the previous game.  But for the time I sat in the stands I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand on end – it was a chilling but awesome experience. 

North Korean Cheerleaders sitting in tidy rows
At the end of the game Kim and I went down to the player’s tunnel - we needed to do a random goaltender equipment measurement on the Switzerland team.  (Throughout the tournament the referee supervisors need to do random checks on the goaltender equipment at the end of the game to ensure that the previously checked equipment is being used and no modifications have been made).  As we waited for the players to leave the ice, we were asked to stand to one side as a 40-50 strong group of VIPs from Korea marched down the corridor.  We caught a glimpse of Kim Yo-jong (North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un’s sister).  The delegation went into the Korean changing room followed by several security personnel all carrying weapons.  It was a site I will never forget and despite a score-line of 8-0 for Switzerland on the ice, it was clear that for Korea they felt the victory was all theirs for this game.  They had competed as one and made history doing so – and that was all that mattered.

More technology
As I’ve said previously – technology is a bit of a theme for the Olympics here and I found out about another cool innovation that is being used during the games.  Sewn into every player’s jersey is a chip which enables data and statistics to be collected - such as, distance travelled during the game, and longest sprint etc.  I’m not sure what all the statistics are but during the intervals they are showing up on the jumbo screen with information on the distance travelled and average speed of certain players.  It seems like a really cool innovation and one which could be really useful for coaches but also interesting for fans to find out more about their favourite player.

Getting to know the Hawk-Eye Innovations team
Katharine Gale from Hawk-Eye Innovations
When I am working as a supervisor or a video goal judge I am sitting in a booth in the corner of the rink.  We have an excellent view of everything and as I mentioned previously we have a team with us from Hawk-Eye Innovations who are based in England.  In talking with them I found out that one of the Hawk-Eye staff is Katharine Gale.  Katharine plays ice hockey for the Bracknell Queen Bee’s and for the GB Women’s Team.  She told me that she had tried refereeing a few years back but has been focusing on playing more recently.  She has been fantastic for us in the box because she knows the game really well.  When we need to see a replay or check a situation she has already found it or looked at it and is able to give us the best view of the incident.  She has even found plays that we haven’t seen live that are good for us to watch over on the replay.  I’ve decided that she really needs to come back to refereeing – we need more female officials and it would be great to see her in a black and white stripy referee jersey!  I have another 2 weeks to convince her to join #teamstripes when we get back home!  If you know her then please send her a message and encourage her to join #teamstripes!

Front entrance to the Women's Arena
Exploring the rink

Me and Kim in the Supervisors Box
Danny with me in the Press Conference Area
Now the games have started the rink feels more alive and between the games I had a chance to walk around and explore a bit more.  Every-time we come to the rink we are dropped over by the athlete’s entrance at the back and walk straight in the tunnel and around the corridor to the offices and the changing rooms.  I decided to take a walk outside the arena and see what it is like from the front.  Kim came along to explore also, along with Danny our new Officiating Manager at the IIHF.  The building from the front is pretty magnificent and as the crowds gather to enter the venue you can feel the excitement build.  As we went to walk in we were approached by a group of Korean girls who wanted to have their picture taken with us.  We of course obliged and they were very grateful, laughing and smiling and bowing to us as they left.  I didn’t have the heart to tell them we were with the referees … but I get the sense they would have been happy to have their picture taken with anyone – even #teamstripes.

Me with the Zamboni
Me with Don Moffatt and his team
We also walked around a little bit inside the arena.  We managed to find the mixed zone which is where the players exit the ice and are stopped for interviews by the media.  We also found the press conference room which was empty.  Danny and I took a seat to rehearse for any press conference we maybe are needed for in the future!  We also walked by the Zamboni entrances to the ice and I stopped for a quick photo.  There are 2 brand new Zamboni’s all branded up ready to cut the ice, and a team of ice technicians made up from experts who have been flown in from around the world and locals who they have been training over the past couple of years.  Don Moffatt is the Chief Ice Technician.  He is from Colorado and has worked with rinks across the NHL.  I met him and one of his staff on the way to the rink and he said he had been flying back and forth to help train and instruct the crew here in Pyeongchang on what they needed to do so the ice was perfect.  As I said in a previous blog – the ice here is fantastic and all credit goes to Don and his crew – without them the hockey wouldn’t be possible. 


Who wants a puck?
Choi is guarding the pucks
In the build-up to going to the Olympics most people I saw asked me if I could get them a game used puck from the Olympics.  The answer to this question is an unequivocal NO!  Olympic pucks are like gold dust … they are rare, and like anything that is rare, they are protected.  At every Olympics I have been to there is someone who is tasked with counting the pucks in and out and watching for anyone who is trying to steal a puck.  During medal games the hockey hall of fame get every puck after a goal and so there is never any chance to get one of those pucks.  In the lead up to the gold medal game some pucks will get lost in the crowd and some will be taken by players after they score a goal.  With the acceptance that these pucks won’t be recovered, it is important that officials don’t get to take a cheeky puck during their games at the end of the periods or at the end of games.  Of course, I’m sure they have tried … but there is usually little success, and I speak from experience.  I remember in Sochi at the end of a preliminary round game I slid a puck into my pocket after the 1st period – I got down the corridor and into the dressing room, only to have a man burst in and grab the puck out of my pocket so he could take it back to the ice cooler.  It is the same deal is here.  Choi – who I mentioned in a previous blog – is responsible for guarding the pucks and there is no chance to get a puck from him or to stop him from doing his job properly.  I ran into him in the corridor and he showed me the cooler full of pucks and agreed to pose for a photo so that you can all see what an Olympic puck looks like!  This is the closest you and even I will get to one though … so please no more requests for pucks!


The beach at night
Me in the rings at night on the beach
Back at the hotel late at night after the games when the temperature is about -15 the Olympic rings stand lit up and proudly guarding the beach from the ocean.  Despite the freezing temperatures, Kim and I took a walk outside to soak up more of the Olympics and have our moment with the rings.  They will continue to mesmerise me for my lifetime.  As each day goes by here I try to take in as much of the atmosphere and feeling of being here as possible.  These are memories I will cherish for the rest of my life and I don’t want to miss one second.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in South Korea ... first impressions

Emotions running high as women's ice hockey tournament comes to an end ...

Figure Skating versus Ice Hockey