Raiders back in Romford!


This past weekend was the long-awaited return of the “Raiders” to my home town – Romford, as they took to the ice at the newly built ice arena – Sapphire Ice and Leisure.  Among many other local hockey fans, I was proud to be in attendance.  The opening of the new facility has re-ignited a passion for hockey in Romford and it was nice to see the queue to get in for the game curled its way around the building.  People were buzzing with excitement for the next chapter in Raiders history to begin.  Everyone wanted to be a part of history and witness the first game in the new facility.

Clouts and I at the new Sapphire Ice and Leisure
My mentor, friend and veteran referee Dave Cloutman was at the game and I attended with my husband and sister.  We all took in the atmosphere and gave a nod to Dad - he would have loved the energy and excitement of the game and we know he was there in spirit.  Clouts and I watched the game through our officiating lenses and shared a few memories of the old Rom Valley Way rink.  Sapphire Ice and Leisure is new, shiny and full of promise and hope for the future.  It was however nice to see that whilst time has moved on and the building has clearly changed, some things in Romford will always stay the same.  The Romford crowd are known for their energy and enthusiasm and it is fair to say that for this opening game in the new building it was there in abundance.  Several familiar faces triggered some happy memories -  the resident Raiders announcer made a return – Clouts and I reminisced of the many times he had been ejected from games or caused a commotion because of his humour towards the visiting team or even the officials.  I guess this goes to show, you can take the hockey out of Romford … but not for long … and you definitely can’t take the Romford out of the hockey.  Where-ever the Romford hockey was it was always fun and however long you have had to wait for it to be back in Romford it is now very clearly back, and it has brought with it the same intensity, excitement and passion it has always been known for.

View from ice level
The coaches, players and supporters have all managed to keep involved in hockey for the time the Raiders were out of Romford, but they don’t have to do it anymore … because “the boys are back in town”.  As this song played out for the Raiders to enter the ice, I was filled with memories of me as an 11-year-old wearing the gold and blue Romford jersey.  For every home game I played in Romford, on hearing that song, my team-mates and I would burst out of the tunnel and skate our hearts out for what felt like an epic warm-up lap.  The crowd of 20 or so parents would go crazy, cheering and whooping and despite being only 11 years old we felt like superstars and that we could take on the world!  I am so pleased that the tradition lives on and may many more memories and dreams of taking on the world be created in the new Sapphire Ice and Leisure.

My Olympic dream was made in Romford, and so just a few days before I headed off to my fourth Olympics, it was a nice to be back home where it all began.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in South Korea ... first impressions

Emotions running high as women's ice hockey tournament comes to an end ...

Figure Skating versus Ice Hockey