Memories for a lifetime ... final blog


This is my final blog of the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic experience and I am writing it on the plane journey home.  As the rest of the passengers’ sleep, I find myself in darkness and unable to relax.  I am still filled with adrenaline and reflecting on what was an utterly amazing experience over the last three weeks.  I have opened my laptop and the bright light of the screen is willing me to capture a few final thoughts for you all and for my memories.

The Olympics as a supervisor
Pyeongchang 2018 Officiating Supervisor Team
When I retired from refereeing I didn’t think anything would top my gold medal experience in Sochi.  I was wrong.  Being part of the Olympic as a supervisor is so much more rewarding than I ever thought possible.  I feel privileged for the opportunity and humbled to have played a small role in supporting others to live their Olympic dream. 

Many of the officials at this Olympics were my peers.  I officiated with them previously, I was part of their team and they were and are still my friends.  It made my job as a supervisor tougher.  I had suddenly become one of the people giving them feedback and making a judgement on their performance.  I was no longer a peer on their team but remained a friend.  This was a delicate balance, however, my relationship with each of them also made my experience as a supervisor so much more rewarding.  I knew the journey each of them had taken to get to the Olympics.  For some, they had experienced heartbreak four years ago at not being selected for Sochi … and they didn’t give up.  They came back fighting and earned their spot this time round. 

Each and every official at this Olympics has a story to tell and it is one of courage and determination.  In their own countries they will have had to mentally fight the nay sayers and the people that shouted abuse from the stands at them week in and week out.  They will have had to stay strong and focused on their goal.  They will have had to dig deep and find the self-belief they needed to make it to the Olympics.  When faced with adversity they rose to the challenge.  I’m proud of each of them and I feel truly lucky to have shared the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics with them.  I hope that in my new role I have played a small part in helping them enjoy the experience that their hard work and dedication earned them.

The journey home …
Tax Free Refund in disbelief at my purchases
Whilst the Olympics is not over, the women’s tournament is finished and so in an attempt to help ease congestion at the airport the female officiating crew and staff fly out before the end of the Olympics.  We had one day after the women’s gold medal game to take in the last moments of our Olympic experience, and to try to pack all of our purchases into our suitcases.  I have of course outdone myself with Olympic purchases and had to buy an extra suitcase to bring home all the requested items for friends and family … I blame all of you and not my addiction to shopping.  I should also add that Kim had to buy an extra bag too – so it is not just me who has too much to bring home!  However, the lady at the tax free did not believe that I had made all of the purchases myself!  Pavel was also un-amused!

The journey home is a long one.  We have to take a bus from the hotel to the train station, a 3-hour train ride to the airport and then for me an 11-hour flight home!  I’m lucky I have a direct flight to London.  For the journey here, there were volunteers everywhere to help … for our journey home there are less volunteers around – I expect there will be more when the world leaves Pyeongchang after the closing ceremony. 

Just a few bags to get home with me
Should anyone need a lesson on how to walk with 4 wheely bags, a handbag, a backpack and a shopping bag then let me know … as I have now perfected this skill! 

The airport was chaotic.  I was with several of the officials who were told that their flight had been over-booked, and they were being re-routed.  At the end of a tiring and emotional Olympics this is not what anyone wants to hear.  We all want to get home!  We all reflected that we are lucky to be leaving a few days before the end of the Olympics as if the airport is chaotic now, then it is not worth thinking about what it will be like in a few days’ time when everyone is trying to leave after the closing ceremony. 






Chaos at the airport
For Torino and Vancouver, the female officiating crew stayed for the full Olympics and closing ceremony.  The airports were chaotic, but it was nice to be at the closing ceremony.  In Sochi we left a day before the closing ceremony and I was sad at the time because I wanted to see the closing ceremony live.  However, when I got home, Scott and I watched the men’s gold medal game and the closing ceremony on TV.  It was surreal having been there a few days before to watch it on TV, but it was also really nice to be home and share it together in the comfort of our small flat.  I’m therefore not sad at all to be heading home before the closing ceremony.  Firstly, the airport is less chaotic (and it has the potential to be a lot worse after the closing ceremony).  However, secondly and more importantly, I get to be in the comfort our new flat and share the end of the Pyeongchang Olympic with Scott.  It has been a long time to be away from him and I’m really looking forward to being home and sharing the stories from my trip with him and with all my friends!



Keepsakes and medals from the Olympics
Lots of people ask me if the referee for the gold medal game gets a medal.  The officials for the gold medal game don’t receive anything in terms of a medal.  If you ask most of them I would say it doesn’t bother them in the slightest.  They aren’t competing for a medal.  They have a puck from the gold medal game and the memory and experience of doing it … that is enough for them.

However, there are a few gifts and mementos that the officials get which serve as nice keepsakes of their participation at the Olympics. 

Pyramid of pucks from Danny for the officials
In an attempt to prevent officials from trying to steal the pucks, each official was given one puck.  Danny (our IIHF Officiating Manager) delivered the pucks to the supervisor team part way through the tournament and so during one of our morning meetings we presented each official with an Olympic puck.  The pucks used for the women’s tournament have the logo in pink and so this is the puck they are given.  The pucks used for the men’s tournament have the logo in blue I am told – I haven’t actually seen one!  Before you ask me … the pucks were for the officials and we handed them all out!  They will likely take pride of place on the shelf at home for each of the officials.  They earned them!

Breakfast with Rene Fasel, President of IIHF
Part way through the tournament, the President of the IIHF requested a breakfast meeting with all of the male and female officials and supervisors.  At this meeting he thanked everyone for their dedication to officiating and presented us with a medal from the IIHF.  The medal has a whistle on the front along with the words “Pyeongchang 2018”.  The back has the IIHF logo with the words “Thanks for your contribution”.  Again, this will likely take pride of place on the shelf next to the puck for each of the officials.  It is significant for me as it is my first medal in recognition of my new role as a supervisor.  I have switched the whistle for a headset, video screen, and pen and paper … but it is nice to be recognised as part of the team and thanked for contributing.

Medal for the Officiating Team with my new tools as a supervisor
At the end of the women’s tournament, the chairman of the tournament and the Chair of the officiating committee for the IIHF brought all of the female and male officials and staff together to present each of us with a certificate of participation and a participation coin from the IOC.  Again, these are nice keepsakes and I’m honoured to receive one as a supervisor and as a “Johnston”!  My previous Olympics all having been completed under my maiden name “Tottman”.
Participation certificate and medal from IOC


Being on Olympic ice
Standing at centre ice
For many officials around the world, having the chance to skate on Olympic ice is a dream.  As a supervisor I don’t skate the games and I switched my skates for trainers … but I still get to walk on the Olympic ice and that is pretty cool.

On the morning after the Women’s Gold Medal game we all had to get up early for a photo session at the ice rink.  I take a final chance to take a few of my own photos on the ice and to soak in the Olympics for a last time.




Final thoughts
I will always be slightly obsessed with the Olympics and the unique experiences it gives to thousands of people around the world.  Taking part is special, an honour and a privilege.  I hope you too remain obsessed with the Olympics and can get involved in some way with sharing the experience and addiction.

A huge thanks to all of you for taking the time to read the blog and encouraging me to write it.  I will I am sure look back on it in years to come and enjoy reliving the moments I have captured.  I hope the insights and my reflections have helped you live a part of the Olympics.

I now need to sign off this blog.  My plane is about to land, and I get to be at home!  I hope Scott is at the airport on time to pick me up … however much I have missed him, if he is not there on time to pick me up and carry my many bags he will be in trouble!  The Olympics is over and “normal” life resumes!

2018 Pyeongchang Olympics - Full Officiating Team

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in South Korea ... first impressions

Emotions running high as women's ice hockey tournament comes to an end ...

Figure Skating versus Ice Hockey