Hockey isn't the only Olympic Sport ...


Our game schedule for the Olympics is different to the usual World Championship schedule.  At the World Championships we typically have four games a day with two full days off for everyone and the tournament runs for just over a week.  At the Olympics we have the tournament running over a longer period of time which means there are fewer games each day.  There are only two games a day and just one day off from games the whole time we are here.  For the officials, they have individual days off and they therefore have time to take in more of the Olympic experience.  As supervisors we are working games every day and so we only have either early morning or late evening (depending on the game we are working), and the day off, to experience more of the Olympics outside of ice hockey.

Part of the fun of being at the Olympics is getting to watch some of the other sports at the highest level in the World.  For the day off we planned a trip to the Mountain Cluster (the Olympic Park in the Mountain to see the Snowboard Cross).

Snowboard Cross
2018 Olympic Winter Games Female Officiating Team
We set off early from our hotel - took a bus to the train station and then took the train for 2 stops before transferring to a bus to take us up to the venue for the Snowboard Cross.  The journey sounds like more of a mission than it really was, and I have to say that the transport logistics of getting spectators out to the various venues has been fantastic.  Our accreditation only gives us access to the hockey venues and so to see other sports we need to purchase tickets.  Having the Pyeongchang application already loaded on our Olympic phones made this process easy as we could purchase them through the application with ease and then show the online ticket at the venue.

Me, Kim, Bianca and Pavel - supervisor team for the female officials

On arrival at the venue for the Snowboard Cross it was apparent that the outdoor venues have a very different vibe to the hockey arena’s and the Coastal Cluster.  Music was blasting out of the speakers across the site and there was a real sense of fun, almost as if we have arrived at a party.  Spectators were decorated with flags which they wore as capes and some of them even braved the cold and had decided to go shirtless and use just body paint to cheer on their Country.  As it was the day off for the women’s tournament we had the whole officiating crew with us.  It was great to sit in the stands as a group cheering on our various countries and share the experience as a team.  I’ve never seen snowboarding and to get the chance to see it at Olympic level was fantastic.  The top part of the track was high in the mountains and spectators watched this on the big screen until the snowboarders came into view for the final part of the track.  Each snowboarder got two runs down the track to set their time and this then put them in position for the final race where six of them came down the track together.  It was an exhilarating final as the six snowboarders competed for the chance of a medal.  In hockey the pursuit of a medal is a long process with the need to win a number of games.  In other competitions the opportunity to win a medal can be over in a matter of minutes and as we watched the snowboarders I reflected on how many of them have spent the last four years and probably longer dreaming of this moment and working hard to make it a reality.  The event and the defining moment for them is over in a few minutes.  These minutes can leave some individuals feeling heartbroken.  But for others, these minutes can leave them overjoyed with emotion and on a high for the rest of their lives. 

Watching athletes compete at an Olympics is special.  For a second you get to witness and share extreme emotions with people who are so dedicated and talented that you can feel nothing but admiration and respect for them.

On leaving the venue, the bus options back to the train station seem a bit more chaotic but people care less as they are full of the Olympic spirit having just had their fill of passion and excitement.  We managed to get on a bus back to a different train station and make our way back to the Coastal Cluster without too much issue!



Long Track Speed Skating
Later in the evening of our day off, I decided to buy a ticket for the speed skating.  Prior to being selected to officiate in Sochi I had some power skating sessions with one of GB’s speed skating coaches based out of Nottingham.  Since then I have had a real admiration for speed skaters and a fascination with their sport.  Watching the speed and power of the skaters is phenomenal and also there is always a fantastic atmosphere at the speed skating oval. 

In Torino in 2006 I was pretty naïve to the Olympic experience.  Isle Robben was a veteran official and took me under her wing.  She was a linesman from Holland, and Torino was her second Olympics (she had also officiated at the Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002).  She was full of life and fun and dragged me along to watch the speed skating with her.  I had no idea what I was letting myself in for … but from that moment on I have understood that the Dutch love speed skating – probably because they are pretty good at it!  Sadly, Isle lost her battle with cancer a few years after the Torino Olympics.  The female officiating team across the world lost a great official and a wonderfully kind and caring person who was always full of life and love for everyone she met.  I’ll always be grateful for her kindness to me when I was starting out my officiating career with the IIHF. 

Me at the Speed Skating Oval
I was quite tired after getting back from the mountain and I wasn’t sure whether to go to the speed skating or rest at the hotel.  But as I sat at the hotel I could hear Isle telling me to go to cheer on the Netherlands.  So, I bought myself a ticket and headed to the Oval on my own for the evening.

I reflected that when I am home I very rarely go to something on my own – concerts, theatre, cinema are always activities I go to with friends.  But at an Olympics I don’t give a second thought to going to watch something on my own.  I’m keen to soak in as much of the experience here and watching athletes compete at the top of their game is a real privilege.

I was pleased I went - I saw Esmee Visser, a 22-year-old Dutch athlete competing at her first Olympics, win the gold medal and beat the Czech world medalist and Olympic champion.  I’m pretty sure Isle would have been happy about that win!


Curling Venue front entrance


Curling
Me with Kim at the Curling
Outside of our full day off from games, the only other opportunity we have to see other sports is early in the morning or later in the evening.  After the final games in the evening we have a directorate meeting which reviews the results and standings of the games, gives the teams a chance to raise any concerns and then plans the logistics for the next few days of games.  We managed to get some tickets for curling for one evening which we could go to after the meeting.  The directorate meeting on the evening we had the curling tickets was a little longer than usual because of logistical plans for moving the semi-final teams to the men’s arena at the Olympic park.  However, after a mad rush and then a brisk walk which took us all the way around the perimeter of the Olympic park to find the right entrance for the curling venue, we finally got to see a bit of the curling action.  Again, this is a sport that I wouldn’t get much of an opportunity to watch at home and so it is nice to have the chance to see it at the Olympics.  I think it is sometimes easier to watch on TV when you have commentators explaining and can also see the over-head shot of the position of the stones.  Luckily for us we had Pavel with us who helped explain what was happening!

Celebrity Snapping …
The Olympics is always good for a bit of celebrity spotting and at previous Olympics my friends have set me challenges to find certain celebrities.  I have of course had requests to find “Mr Tonga” from the opening ceremony!  I am still on the lookout for a crazy guy walking around half naked!  However, in the meantime I did have the chance to run into a few former hockey players. 

Me with Vladislav Tretiak in our hotel lobby
Staying at our hotel is Vladislav Tretiak, a former goalie for the Soviet Union national ice hockey team.  He is considered to be one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the sport and is currently President of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and a Council member for the International Ice Hockey Federation.  I managed to get my picture with him and it is great to see him supporting both the female and male tournaments here.






Me and Pavel with Jiri Fischer
Up in the mountains, Pavel (who seems to know everyone and have a way into everywhere we go) managed to find Jiří Fischer in the crowd and he came to sit with us to watch the snowboard cross.  Fischer is from Czech Republic and a former Detroit Redwings player in the NHL.  He retired from playing following an incident where he went into cardiac arrest in a game in 2005.  He now works as the Detroit Redwings Director of Player Development.  His daughter was competing in the snowboard cross and it was fantastic to see his emotion and support as she raced down the track.  She is just 18 years old and so didn’t make it through to the final or get a chance to compete for a medal – but still it was wonderful to see the close bond they must share.  Clearly a very talented winter sports family!

Me with Soohorang
Finally, no celebrity spotting is complete without the Olympic Games mascot.  Second to the puck requests from all my friends and family, are the requests for a white tiger Olympic mascot – even my Mum wants one!  These are easier to come by and I have been filling my suitcase with mascots as requested.  Soohorang is a white tiger and is the official mascot of the 2018 Winter Olympics.  Bandabi is an Asiatic black bear and is the official mascot of the 2018 Winter Paralympics.  I managed to get my picture with Soohorang … and will be on the lookout for Bandabi!

So, in answer to the question “Are you getting to see other sports?” … the answer is yes … but of course only when the schedule allows and in reality, I’m mostly seeing hockey games … and that is ok by me ... the next few days hold the semi-finals and the medal games for the female tournament and so there is everything to play for!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving in South Korea ... first impressions

Emotions running high as women's ice hockey tournament comes to an end ...

Figure Skating versus Ice Hockey